Thursday, March 11, 2010

Discouraged but still playing

Fair warning, this will get fairly rantish.

So I haven't posted for a while, not that I'm the most active poster in the world, but I was trying to make sure I got atleast a post every ten days. The biggest reaston for the lack of updates? Blood Angels

I'm sure everyone has heard all the rumors, and if they are all to be trusted Blood Angels will be gods . . . but we know it's a load and they won't be that bad.

But the one thing that has gotten me quite discouraged is the rumored lander. Forget the dread capacity or the weapon loadout, I'm betting those are misunderstandings or expensive upgrades, the part that bothers me is the fact that this marine chapter will get all the advantages of having a Dark Eldar Raider, without the disadvantage of being open topped, or AV 10.

This one of the things that really get my goat about 40K, GW continually tries to make the marines everything that every other race is, and then people wonder why all the best lists are anti-marine lists. Everything your race can do a marine somewhere can do better. I suppose we should all be used to it by now.

It's left a sour taste in my mouth for my Dark Eldar, and that combined with some repainting means they haven't even been pulled out the last couple weeks. But next week brings the clubs Apocalypse tournament, and I'm thinking that's what I'll bring but my Chaos force has been doing well too.

Gimme some opinions, is it just me as a vet or is the marine thing getting to be too much?

4 comments:

  1. Well, I wouldn't say that the Lander is so much in competition with the DEldar as with Eldar, as the thing costs approximately 4-5 times as much as one of your raiders and you can have at a maximum 3. I would think it would be more Valks/Vendettas that you would be worried about, as you can have up to 9 and they cost only 2-3 times as much with similar capabilities.

    Though it is true that the marines (and, really, most of the 5th ed codices) are treading on everyone else's toes. Fast skimmers are everywhere, psykers are going crazy... well, we'll see what your much rumored codex brings [if, you know, the rumors are true this time (:]

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not so much the fast skimmer that bothers me, it's the fast skimmer you can assault out of.
    The major benefit to open topped vehicles was the ability to assault out of them. The LandRaider got their special rule and now it's slowly creeping everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can all agree that the 5th edition books are completely over the top in comparison to the previous edition. While they are somewhat balanced within themselves, they are leaving the early generations behind rather quickly.

    They way I figure it, when our new DE codex drops, however long that will take, we will be the brand new cheese for quite some time. As you have pointed out, we will probably be the best at taking out marines as well. Sure the Imperium is encroaching upon our assault skimmers, but until they get lances and Disi's I think our tech is somewhat safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. C'mon, you must know by now that if the kiddies didn't have an army that gives them a good chance of winning without having to learn tactics / army composition / other army makeups, they wouldn't continue playing 40k and that would be bad for 40k.

    Don't worry about it, just like every other smurf codex, give it a month and we'll figure out how to give the kiddies new toys a kicking.

    ReplyDelete